Aren't you CrossFit OD???

NOOOOO. Not me.
That question always makes me cringe (but I smile).
There's a Monsta & a Butter's & a momma bear & a lady named Molly that bakes amazing chocolate chip cookies for events.
I could go on and on about who is CrossFit OD, but it isn't me.
I am an advocate and facilitator and maybe a visionary, "coach".  But the people the run and embrace the ownership of an amazing business are never the people that do the paperwork and handle the ins and outs.
Sure, we profess our time and effort's, but that doesn't mean we don't celebrate what really shines.

CrossFit OD was establish 5 years ago.

Over a year ago, I wanted more for the place.  And to be completely honest, I also needed more from people to make our value more appealing than competitors, and the affects of 5 years of establishment.  I often felt met with resistance from the people I needed the most, and I completely understood the need for personal happiness amongst those people.  Well, if you can't convince them/ influence them, might as well join them.
I considered: I too should be able to inter mingle with other boxes and not be condemned or feel like I will loose a sell.  I too should have a "no sweat" response to an unsatisfied or challenging customer, I too should be able to take time off every half a year to deal with my personal issues, first and foremost (gym down the priority list).  To study and do homework with my kids instead of program workouts or handle memberships.  Heck, maybe someone else should stress how they are going to pay me for coaching this week if those 2 clients cancel?  I want to workout on a Saturday with my friends for an hour and collect a coaches check for 2.  I wouldn't mind showing up to the gym to workout and not clean floors or stop mid workout to meet a "drop in"...
Actually, I absolutely love to be the ONE to handle all of that with pride and elbow grease.  To be that strong leadership role and develop that type of respected reputation. But that is also a problem for a mom, wife and teacher.
You have to find a graceful position to give the best to all your passions.

These back and forth facts are very minor details.  It is nothing to frown on or even think I really care that much to be concerned.  I would take these crazy thoughts and pay a CrossFit business coach to help me, or work on how I could be a better leader. I would try to become more educated as a business owner.  Ultimately, its just me, giving a picture of what things seem like as a sole business owner who feels like no one could truly understand the sacrafices she makes or isn't allowed to make because of her position to make the business thrive for others (as any "help" was more than willing; to put their 2 cents in).  Because of her high standards of excellence and because she holds the checkbook.  She deals with the competitors.  Because at the end of the day, she wants to be a part of the best CrossFit box in town. More importantly, she wants to help facilitate these amazing athletes to having their fitness outlet to "play" for many- many years to come! Mostly, because she is without a doubt: a doer.  Always taking action.

So I set out with my goals, and found members, looking to enhance these goals with a membership team of current athletes at OD whom had the resources and backgrounds. It all seemed to be a good fit without moving in other directions.  Adding 3 current OD members to ownership can only be a good plan for the gyms best interest.

Here's the BIG picture on where I stand overall:
I am a learner, I am a do-er, I am a realist.  I am an extreme note taker.  [So much that I am embarrassed of the thought that someone may see my note taking in my phone at some point.]  I care deeply for the happiness of others, especially if they have invested in me as a professional.

I found a lot of similarities in the stories and sermons of the Apostle Paul (example; as he wrote from prison; "I want you to know brother's that what has happened to me, has really served to advance the gospel!') as he proclaimed he was prisoned for Christ.  That because of his faith in prison, he had influenced other's- despite circumstance to be confident in the Lord and "word" without fear or despair.  In a situation that might seem difficult and out of his belonging but to him, worth the placement.

Ultimately, I did have to take action for these amazing people to have more, and better. To always be given a continued best and better from coaches and owner's.
From a personal stand point my husband was tired of the family sacrifices occurring for the gym. I too saw him loose a zeal for the sport itself.
We've also done "business" together (him and I) for many years, and I felt after 5 years I couldn't ask him to reinvest in our gym, and not support his business endeavors in the construction/ real estate field.  It is his turn to invest and my turn to support.
I also saw other opportunities for people to offer their skills to leadership or put in more to their dream careers.  Opportunities that I always worked to provide but realistically couldn't alone. I am always making choices on the potential gains for others therefore, action was needed despite how much I have poured into and absolutely devoted my (our) lives for 5 years.  I can admit going way too far to prove that I can run a successful business and be a full time wife, mom, and teacher and needed to find a more neutral ground where I could still be in love and involved with all of my passions.  Despite, all the losses that were in store for me, I had to take this leap of faith for the better future of THE BOX.  I could have stayed on the hamster wheel of good for another 5 or 10 years.  But that would have been selfish.
I needed help with new equipment and bringing in new members. The new ownership team- majority felt a name change was the best way to enhance "new".
My number one goal was to have this place go on for the people. That is still a thing.  Having it "called" CrossFit Feral is just that to me.  Same people. Same place. Same sport. Same love.

My family went and saw the movie: "Christopher Robin" (Winnie the Pooh) on the day of CrossFit OD's 5 year anniversary.
I cried the whole time and my daughter didn't quite get it.
At the beginning of the movie I felt like Pooh!  [the place I am now just cruising, carefree, no need to really stress even if your life seems to be in a stressful state (he misses his best friend and needs help finding his group of friends).]
Then mid to the end, I saw that I am totally Christopher Robin.  At home (while being a sole gym owner).. I was cruising past the people that needed me the very most in order to pave the way for all of us.  But I was overly focused to that work drive.  When my personality is far more creative and loving to all that is important.
All the feels, all the quotes where digging deep for me. (of course I took notes) ;-)

"Sometimes when I'm going somewhere and I wait, somewhere comes to me." ~Pooh
interpreted as: everything will happen when the time is right.  There are somethings you cant rush, love and success.  With our instant gratification personalities its hard to wait.  We feel like we have to always be doing something.  I love Poohs example of patients.

"I always get to where I'm going by walking away from where I have been" ~Pooh
-instant reminder: we can never move forward if we are stuck in the past.

"Today is my favorite day!" ~Pooh
*Always live in the moment. Be thankful for the present day.

"I don't feel very much like Pooh today!'
Even WP has bad days.  We have days where everything goes wrong and days when we just don't feel like ourselves.  Its all okay as long as you let it all go when you begin a new day.

more POOH:
"River's know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."

"If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient.  It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear"

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"

"The things that make me different are the things that make me"

"Some people care too much.  I think it's called love"


"Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, or just going along, listening to all the things you cant hear and not bothering"

And the famous one: "When you do nothing it leads to the very best of something"

I love what I do, but sometimes, what I don't do can be my strength too!

Love you, and love your support and positivity! xoxo




Comments

Popular Posts