Happy 75th Grandma Glenda- Lucy!

ME (Carrie) in Gma's Drapery Pouch Jul 1983 (17 mo)!

When asked who my “hero’s” are there is always a list, and it some times changes! There are however, a “proud” few that always make that list! One of them is my Grandma Glenda Lucille. Notice: the middle name. Lexie is named after my grandma like I am named after my own Grandma Diana (Carrie Diana). On December 5th my Grandma Glenda or Grandma “Lucy” celebrated her 75th birthday. The day came and went like any other and I actually didn’t get to see and visit with her until the 6th, but it just reminds me of how and why my grandma is so special and why I love her so much, just another day, happy to see family, probably making some draperies.
Im sure I know more about grandma’s life than she realizes (mostly in part to my aunt Jenny and her “her-story” projects), but again, her trials and tribulations make her all the more amazing, and I pray that I can be as strong and loving to my family as she has been throughout her 75 years.
I have begun to wonder how my Grandma ran a successful drapery business and still managed to run a “day care” for all of us Harwell/ Carter kids??? I guess I know now why she still works. It’s got to be a lot easier without a bunch of kids running around and trying to play in the drapery pouches! But I have to say, even though our main focus was cool “playtime” with our cousins, it still gave us a very special bond with grandma Glenda. I guess for Amber and I quality time with our #1 grandma has meant the world! She is the only Grandma that we really got to know (before grandma Diana passed), and she always showed not only us, but our mother that she has and always will love “our mom” like her very own. That’s how gracious my grandmother is. She lost a son far too early, and knows the impact of “tough” loss. My Grandma has done a fantastic job at being there for my mom. In turn my mom cares for my Grandma like her own mother, and I love their relationship, and any relationship my grandma has had or does have for that matter. It’s kind of like all of her Harwell kids… everyone loves them, for all the right reasons (Dennis, Daddy, Aunt Jenny, & Dickey).!
My grandma has never showered any of us with gifts, and we have never wanted that! She has simply always been there, around, caring, and loving (with all the traditions and requirements), and it has been the best gift ever to have her so close in our lives. She doesn’t lie, tells you the truth all the time, has a memory better than anyone I know, and doesn’t expect a single thing from anyone! She has worked hard for what she has, and she probably doesn’t think it’s much, but she has raised an AMAZING family, and no matter what she had to do to get them there, she is WHY they ARE there!
It’s hard to say specifically why, or how, but all I see or think when it comes to Grandma Lucy is strength, love and care, and I love just getting to see her and visit her! I love the joy on her face and in her voice when she hears another grandchild is being named after her, or even just born! It’s just another example of how much she loves her “offspring” and how much we feel it!
So Happy Birthday Grandma Glenda-Lucy, we all love and admire you so much… You are the apple of all of our eyes!

Comments

Popular Posts