Blogs of thanks Broken Skull challenge

 Thank you all for being so supportive! I wanted to share my summary and thoughts on Broken Skull Challenge: note: remember there was zero knowledge of what type of event us challengers would be faced with prior to participating in any Broken Skull challenge at all. Goal #1: making it past the first head to head challenge was a must! Goal #2: not mis understanding a challenge and costing myself time or ability to do my best.  Especially since we couldn't practice!  I had some other goals to try my best, have fun and survive the heat and dirt in that day! Well I don't think I looked like an idiot but I kind of didn't understand the second challenge. I understood the rules and what I was suppose to do but even Steve Austin's first words to me after challenge 2 were: "you were ready for more?"  I concentrated on it (barrels) getting heavier, knew that my endurance could "last longer" and came out pacing a little too much. It was a short race/ sprint, and the barrels never got as heavy as it seemed they would "piling up!"  I was out of time, being the better athlete at the second half was not the winning strategy on this event. I also thought the girl that got sent home in the pair that went before us had better technique but still "lost" so I ran ahead to get on the "winning" side.
However, the only takes we did were on approaching our challenges. So my opponent walked before (take 1), and final take she sprinted ahead of me and grabbed the "good side!" If I was stuck on the "bad side" I didn't want to "gas out" like the other "older lady" who seemed to be going much harder than her competitor (her and I were the only 2 "mom's" left, and 30+) but was "out" after all those quick pulls.  I still think there's a little strategy behind this "good side" (in any competition) especially with dirt, and  when things are unfamiliar.  Ironically, both guys that went "out" on the guys show last week were on the same "loosing" side as us 2 girls that went home! 🤔 it's so vague on what made the barrels "weighted". Before I was contractually allowed to speak about my experience all I could think was, "shouldn't we climb on something?", or "flip something too?"  Well until I saw the guys go last week... "Patience Carrie, always practice patience. "
I didn't realize or know the additions I was in the second challenge were ahead on the 3rd challenge.  When you are "out" you are whisked away immediately. But wanting harder and still not winning doesn't make a lot of sense!  At the end of the day it is all my performance. Because one event, that first one was and had to be-- extremely hard... well my (our) strengths are also our weaknesses and that's why I love doing physical challenges!  How do you know if you don't try? Daily, people won't try CrossFit saying: "it's too hard!" How do they know? And trying anything for a short time isn't giving it a chance.  This challenge was all CrossFit or Spartan.  We train for the unknown and unknowable. The glory is in realizing either small steps or parts are doable! Eventually you can be at the top or you can always do things in similarity to feel the success!  I was in the best shape of my life when they brought back the show "American Gladiators!" But during my application process they cancelled the show. Therefore this was a similar "bucket list" thing I wanted to do! I have always been proud of my performance on the ranch. Do I have regrets? Most certainly and always when tested against my best. But that's my fuel forward.  Until today I had no idea that the first girl I had taken down was/ is popular in social media, a blogger, author, magazine publisher/ writer and figure competitor.  That was a cool part of the show (not being able to communicate with each other). I just told myself she looked too sweet and I had to be more "tough"!  I think it was so tough that I was in a cloud during the second event. But as a result. My competitor earned a finish over me.  I have that happen a lot, you know; the over/ under estimating thing. The best part is the next CrossFit competition where I did this exact scenario, my partner and I achieved 3 lengths of a pull more than any other pair in our competition and won all 4 of our events!  In the words of coach Dean Smith: "We don't loose much, but when we do we take it as a lesson and always improve, ultimately get the win!"  Failure is a chance to attack your weaknesses and get better!  This experience has helped me to close gaps.  Looking back at the CrossFit competition I won this weekend, I did what it took to win in the various events or do my best, but even with a first place I have things I need to work on to put me on the level of a top athlete. I put my family first because I have a business and little lives in my day job! They all matter the most and in fact tremendously to me.  It all comes first. What I do physically is a product of it and an attempt to marry it all together! I constantly strive to balance it all and I wouldn't have shared my experience on the show with you guys without knowing that you all already know my character.  I am honored, love sharing with you, and thankful for the amazing support and cheers you have given me! Love you! Thank you! Each and everyone of you!  You have made me get there and are the reason I "go"! So give yourself a pat on the back today and go out and "try" or "do". Whatever you desire. You can.

Comments

Popular Posts