My lemon is ripe, sweet & juicy

I have seen all these lovely anniversary and wedding posts lately and it makes my heart warm.  There was a time where I could have been a real Scrooge at the sight of marital happiness.  Ready to throw in the towel!  Actually I did!  And the towel kinda just let me be.  His laxidazical approach didn't  help the situation one bit... I was so far gone that when he did make the decision to play for our team, the competitor in me said "bring it on!" "You don't stand a chance!"  
He surprised me in a win/ win kind of way!  Now I don't believe that every marriage or relationship can or should be saved.  But I will say this: the truth is... It only takes one!  If it takes 1 to initiate the break or bend or just acknowledge the existence of it in some cases... It only takes 1 to actually try and fix it or mend it.  He set aside the multitude of things he had piled up "against" me & focused on repairing the distance it all caused.  When things weren't so great I made a lot of attempts to communicate or repair with counseling but my other half would say: "I'm good" when in reality he was so irritated with little things he just didn't want to bother with me (I must have sensed that).  I felt very un wanted -not needed by him, but by the grace of God in it all... He didn't just "say" he wanted to try... He DID! Without that I don't know where we would be? I slowly started to want to pay him back. And I still love doing that to this day because he continues to show and tell me how much he loves me, everyday! Every fight is valuable and a lesson.  Sometimes it even makes me smile.  Most moments together are  short but cherished and spent well. 
I fell in love with and married the man of my forever dreams!  I could have chose anyone (that was available and liked me back) and I chose him as the best.  There is a reason, and not everything is roses.  In the words of Miranda Lambert, "back before everything became automatic" "we worked our problems out". I urge you to be willing to get your hands dirty if you have to, & don't  take things for granted. Also sometimes communication is not the end of "trying"! I write this to share... We all have struggles, the difference is turning lemons into lemonade (if you have the means)! Now some people have grapefruits and those are too sour & an acquired taste... That's another Oprah/ blog!
My point is I never thought (after some really bad thoughts) and 11 years down the road that I would be saying: "I really truly love my husband more and more each day because of our troubles, from our trials!" If you are ever interested in hearing specifics I would and will always share the difficulties that brought us to a place of great joy!  Until then I will tell you, it is all thanks to our Heavenly Father & faith in him! #Amen

Comments

dboz said…
That was a great blog... I am truly happy for you. After 35 years I can say the same thing about truly loving this husband of mine and blessed that he loves me right back.

Popular Posts